What an amazing array of classes!
We hope the hardest decision you have to make all weekend is deciding which of the amazing classes to attend! May your minds be stretched; your hearts opened.
At the WHC, we specifically strive to bring together plant lovers/herbalists/healers who represent the various aspects of herbalism from folklore and family herbalism to clinical, gardener and farmer, to shamanic and plant spirit teachings. We strongly feel by interfacing and coming together in the spirit of the green, that we can best expand our green network, not only locally, but globally, creating a myrochizzial network that is organically ‘shape shifting’ the world of health and healing into a healthier world for all. We, all of us together, are part of a revolution in health care, and many of the herbalists who will be attending the WHC as speakers and participants alike have helped green the way…
Each year depending on the teachers, we offer a wide variety of topics and classes at the WHC. We don’t normally chose a specific topic or have ‘tracks’, because we offer such a variety of classes for all level of participants, and we’ve found that people generally chose what they are most interested in attending, Enjoy! We welcome your feedback….
Please note; There may be a few additions and changes to the classes listed below. The Final Schedule with all class changes is posted on August 1st.
ROCIO ALARCON BSC, PHD (ECUADOR)
- Intensive: Spiritual Bathing, Massage and Healing Ceremonies of Ecuador with Rocio Alarcon (Ecuador). In this special intensive, Rocio will guide women through the experience of ‘spiritual bathing & massage’ using herbs, water, flower, and oils. These herbal baths are used to cleanse the spirit of negative energy and are also used for specific ailments. The properties of the plants and other ingredients can clean our negativities and make us feel more attractive and alive, ready to face the future with enthusiasm and positivism. Ancient healing ceremonies of the Andes will also be shared. Rocio is a gifted healer and is renowned throughout Ecuador & England for her healing gifts. Class will be hands-on/experiential. Students need to bring a towel, flowers and herbs, and quart of water.
- Breast Health the Shamanic Way with Rocio Alarcon. This workshop will focus on cleansing and prevention of conditions in the breast using a type of massage that allows women to keep their breasts strong, active and clean. We will be using seeds as the special elements that have the quality to remove negative energies. During this session woman will prepare their own piece of cloth filled with seeds and then be taught how to do a special massage with them. Please bring a towel to lie on and seeds if you have them. Cloth will be provided.
- Reconnecting with the Power of Plants, Building Our Own Landscapes to Help Restore The Planet with Rocio Alarcon. We will build our own ‘sacred healing landscapes’ using seeds, stones, branches, and other natural elements and then learn how to use these ‘Sacred Landscapes’ for health and healing purposes. The main elements in creating the landscapes are seeds because they are powerful, and hold the potential for future life, including the life of plants. This practice is a powerful healing tool and allows people to move through many of their traumas, reconnecting our bodies with nature through the power of the seeds and ceremony. Participants should bring little stones, dry seeds, branches, candles and a piece of cloth or paper (1 meter X 1 meter) (we will have some of these items there for people unable to bring their own).
- Herbs for Alzheimer’s and Parkinsons: New Research with Holly Bellebuono. Learn the newest research into treatment options for neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer’s, Parkinsons, ALS, MS, depression, and more. This is a primer in how neurons work and how herbal pharmacology and foods can affect neurotransmitters, nerve and muscle function. Leave with creative ideas to support your loved ones and clients. (Intermed).
- Women Healers of the World~ The Traditions, History, and Geography of Herbal Medicine with Holly Bellebuono. Holly’s inspiring documentary features the plant lovers, scientists, and healers both past and present who have shaped our ideas of modern medicine. These intricate profiles of 31 women from 20 countries and 16 healing traditions come from her 7 years of travel, research, and personal interviews with this extraordinary sisterhood of women. Discover their stories and inspire your own traditions
- Intensive: (Wo)Manifest Your Business: A Brainstorming Session for Entrepreneurs with Holly Bellebuono. This safe and creative session will nurture your best ideas and help you see them to fruition. Holly guides you through part-written, part-verbal exercises to help you achieve your business goals, whether you are an herbalist/apothecary owner, artist/gallery owner, farmer, or other entrepreneur working for yourself. Learn to structure the development of your passionate business dreams so they become reality. Come prepared with a business idea (existing or new) and an open mind. Holly is a two-time recipient of the Small Business Owner of the Year Award and has lead empowerment seminars for entrepreneurs and facilitates seminars for conferences, universities and corporations throughout the country. A successful businesswoman and herbalist, Holly is a gifted teacher and enthusiastically shares what’s she’s learned on her path of success.
- Finding Your Spirit Animal with Janet Blevins. We will journey to the lower world in ceremony to find your spirit animal/helper. Please bring an eye covering and rattle if you have one.
- Spirit canoe and pipe ceremony with Janet Blevins. After sharing a ceremonial native pipe offering come join me on an ancient indigenous guided journey to the lower world on a spirit canoe. No life jackets needed.
- The Healing Art of Cupping with Janet Blevins. Learn cupping techniques using pump and fire cups. Also we will learn to use bamboo cups for soaking in herbal products then apply to body. We will explore acu points and meridians to utilize during a cupping session as well. Beginner
Dr. Mary Bove
- Intensive A Functional Approach to Endocrine System Health and Herbal Therapies with Dr. Mary Bove. Cultivating a healthy vital endocrine system requires an optimally functioning digestive, nervous and immune system. Many aspects of modern day life directly affect endocrine gland health and function including pollution, environmental toxins, heavy metals, stress, electromagnetic waves and nutritional factors. This Intensive looks at endocrine health through a functional model, looking at it’s interconnection with the nervous and immune systems, linking that to the health and wellness of and botanical strategies for endocrine health and function. Using a functional model to review endocrine system physiology, case histories, clinical presentations, and therapeutics. Review of botanical Adaptogens, which modulate the body’s response to all forms of stress helping to regulate the interconnected endocrine, immune, and nervous systems, will be highlighted along with specific endocrine gland botanicals. Discussion will include the concept of the adaptogen mechanism, the links between neuro-endocrine-immune systems and specific adaptogen plants, including relative clinical studies, and therapeutic application. (Advanced)
- Kid Friendly Herbs with Dr. Mary Bove. Herbs can be a safe and effective option for parents looking for therapeutic choices for their children. Join in to a discussion on the traditional use of plant medicines along with current research for the safety and efficiency of herbal medicines for childhood health concerns such as insomnia, restlessness, ADHD, generalized anxiety, immune support during cold and flu season, ear infection, and more. Featured herbs include Black Elderberry, Echinacea, Ginger, Lemon Balm, and Chamomile Flowers. Intermed.
- Botanical Strategies for ADHD with Dr. Mary Bove . ADHD is the most common psychiatric disorder among children today. This lecture will look at botanical approachs to the treatment and management of ADHD. Botanical therapeutics including traditional strategies, review of current botanical data, and functional application in a therapeutic plan will be discussed.
- Sara is an ceremonialist, poet, and schoolteacher who is in service to honoring the sacred ecology of all things. She lives in northern Vermont where for the last couple of decades she has taught wilderness skills and Earth stewardship practices to children and adults. She, along with her partner Joseph, are keepers of the Sweat Lodge and the Sacred Pipe, and facilitators of Vision Quest. She studied and apprenticed with medicine woman Trishuwa for many years and has led ceremony, in the tradition of the Bear Tribe, for the Women’s Herbal Conference, The Green Nations Gathering, and on private land throughout New England.
Sandra Corcoran M.Ed., CDD, P-K
- Special Moon Ceremony with Sandra Corcoran. This ancient evening ceremony is dedicated to the Goddess. It is celebrated outside, and brings together a circle of women to honor their divine feminine, helping them to stand in their truth. We will make a sacred fire together, make offering for the world at large, and leave behind the wounded parts of ourselves that no longer serve. Please dress comfortably and bring a palm sized rock that you have imbued with your prayers, and will be left at the circle to stand for you and your prayers. Please note: this ceremony is limited to 18 women; sign up is at registration table. Sorry, no walk-ins
- Dreaming with Mugwort with Sandy Corcoran. Indigenous cultures regard dreams with great respect. To be conscious of our dreams, gives us access to the pool of wisdom that lies beyond time and space. In pagan, green nation, and indigenous communities, specific plants, meditations, and/or rituals were used to help enhance one’s dreamtime. In this workshop we will be using Mugwort, Artemisia Vulgaris and Native Wisdom Wheels to assist you to decode your dreamscape. Please bring a notebook, pen, one dream, (old or recent), and your sense of humor to this class.
- Despacho offering to Pachamama with Sandy Corcoran. In the south central Andean Mystical tradition, despachosare created to heal, cleanse, bring to you something you desire (like a new job, home, child, etc.) and/or to give thanks. You will be introduced to Andean techniques that help you re-center and release. We will make a community despacho to honor Pachamama for all She offers us, and release a part of our selves that needs to be transmuted.
- Fire by Friction with Sarah Corrigan. In this workshop we will have the opportunity to learn how to coax fire from a few pieces of wood, effort, and intention. Folks of all skill sets are welcome.
- Fibers from a Wild Landscape with Sarah Corrigan. Learn how to twist up natural wild fibers into beautiful and functional rope. We will work with a variety of fibers and delve into the ethnobotanical relationship of fiber plants and the their importance in people’s lives
Dr. Crystal Dawn M.D.
- Chakra Breath Meditation Healing Ritual with Dr. Crystal Dawn. In the midst of the trees we will combine guided imagery and the accelerated breath with the back drop of provocative music. We will equilibrate all 7 of our Chakras to their highest vibration as we exhale that which does not serve our highest good and inhale those qualities that enhance our wholeness. Bring a yoga mat/towel to lie on and a shawl/ blanket to cover yourself.
- Food As Medicine with Dr. Crystal Dawn. Food is among the most pervasive influences on human health. Dr Silas will present some of today’s most inspiring thoughts on this vital topic. Herbalists will understand the myriad of health effects of food and develop skills to serve as the foundation for recommending dietary interventions for themselves, family members and clients. This workshop will emphasize the importance of a foundational diet of high quality phytonutrients diversity to reverse clinical imbalances and achieve the highest expressions of well being. Intermed/Adv
- Menopause with Dr. Crystal Dawn Understand its health implications and botanical and nutritional support. We will discuss the impact of menopause on a women’s well being with a focus on common symptoms women experience and the botanical nutritional and lifestyle strategies to optimize quality of life and wellness.
Aku Dunyo Richter
- Sacred Fire, Sacred Touch with Aku Dunya Richter. Traditional African healing can take many different forms. Healers work through spiritual, herbal and physical channels to help patients overcome illnesses of the body and mind. In this class we will discuss how healers of the Ewe tribe in West Africa use fire, smoke, touch and herbs to help patients suffering from conditions as varied as mental illness, chronic pain, and lack of mobility. Begin/Intermed
- It Takes a Village to Heal the Sick Aku Dunya Richter. If there is a medicine for every illness, why aren’t the sick always getting better? Is healing just a matter of choosing the right herbs? Or is there more? Raised in a small village in Africa where every child is treated as one’s own, and where food and medicine is grown, gathered and processed by people know and love you, I come from a place of deep connections. Connections to the land, to the plants and animals, and to people. I believe our circle of connections is crucially important in all aspects of life, and it is those connections that create a healthy village no matter where we live. Begin/Intermed
Beth Ebbing Johnson
- Creating a Sacred Bath with Beth Ebbing A favorite way to heal for many is returning to the waters. In this class we’ll show one way how to make a sacred bath blend & how to set the sacred space to take it in. We’ll look at the different salts, essential oils, flower & gem essences, powdered herbs, & crystals. Parts of this class will be hands on. You’ll leave with a bit of the bath we blend. Hopefully you’ll be inspired to go home & start creating your own magick with healing baths. Beginners welcome.
- Letting Go of Grief with Beth Ebbing Johnson. Grief can look many different ways and is an individual processing for everyone. We will cover many different ways you might wish to start your healing journey including vibrational energies of flower & gem essences, the energy of the heart healing and some of the “go to” essential oils to help release grief. Beth is currently studying to become a Death Doula and will be sharing what she is learning in the process. Intermed
Ellen Evert Hopman
- Advanced Herbal Formula Making with Ellen Evert Hopman. In this workshop we will practice the triangle system of formula making developed by William LeSassier. The triangle system is suitable for Constitutional Prescribing and for crafting unique formulas suited to individuals. This workshop is appropriate for those who already have some background in Herbal studies. All Levels welcome
- The Doctrine of Signatures classification system that was developed in a time before most people could read. Did the plant grow in sun or shade? In damp soil or in a dry area? The shape of a leaf, the color of a flower, the taste of an herb were all guides to which body system or organ the plant was appropriate for. Please come prepared to take notes.
- A Wild Edible & Medicinal Plant Walk with Dina Falconi. Explore the wild plants that grow at the Women’s Herbal Conference. Learn to indentify these plants using basic sensory skills and discover how they are used for food, medicine and pleasure. Includes practical information on harvest and preparation.
- Foraging & Feasting with Dina Falconi Discover the culinary treasures hidden in wild foods. Learn to identify, harvest, and prepare these ancient foods so you can easily incorporate them into your daily meals. Herbalist and author Dina Falconi will present slides of botanically accurate illustrations and share delicious, enlightening recipes from her book new book Foraging & Feasting: A Field Guide and Wild Food Cookbook.
- Intensive Kitchen Cosmetics & Herbal Skin Care with Dina Falconi. A feast for body and soul! Using all natural ingredients, Dina will share her favorite master recipes for creating handcrafted personal care products. Learn how to custom blend non-toxic formulas perfectly suited to your needs. This is a hands-on, in depth presentation where you will be guided step-by-step in practical ways to make healthycreams, salves, balms, herbal oils, face cleansers and more. During this intensive Dina wishes to answer your questions while presenting the art and science of making home-crafted body-care products.
- Generalities of Reading the Face, Nails and Tongue with Margi Flint. Learn to read the simple quick lines and areas of the face to guide you through the jigsaw puzzle of health. We will focus only on the face and simple generalities of color, line and area with lots of time to practice! Margi is a master at ‘reading the body’ and shares generously what she’s learned over 30 years of practice
- Practitioners Stories and Answers to Questions with Margi Flint. Come to ask questions about being in practice. Your questions will inspire stories! Every aspect of daily practice, money, illnesses, difficult situations, boundaries and wisdom gleened over the past 40 years will be covered. All levels welcome
- The Value of Astrology to the Herbal Teacher & Practitioner with Wendy Fogg. Incorporating astrology into your herbal practice can reveal information about your client’s personality, health issues, emotions, relationships, self worth, propensities and communication skills. As a practitioner, having this information can be priceless in helping you choose the words and methods of communication to which your client can be most receptive. I’ll present up to three cases, display their charts and show how that information helped me to help them. Basic knowledge of signs, planets and houses is recommended.
- The Zipper Method of Kinesiology: The Right Plant + The Right Delivery Method = The Best Result with Wendy Fogg. Sometimes our intellectual understanding of the plants and our clients’ needs is not quite enough, particularly in cases where the client is wary or highly sensitive and/or reactive to medicines in general. In this workshop we’ll explore the power and value of using the Zipper Method of kinesiology to invite the body to bestow its innate wisdom in helping us choose the right plant and the right delivery methods for our clients. Includes lecture and group participation.
- Into the Forest: A Listening with Wendy Fogg. Barefoot and silent we enter the magical domain of the woodland, becoming quieter and quieter with each step; feeling the energy of Mother Earth and the forest floor; “listening” for the call of the plants, “hearing” their stories speak to our hearts. Bring a small notebook and pen. At the end, we’ll sit in circle – a time for (optional) sharing.
Claudia Ford, Ph.D
- Cultural Competency Skills For Plant And People Allies: “Diversity Is Nature’s Way” with Claudia Ford. Many herbalists are called to do transformative work within our communities. We strive to understand and represent our relationships with the plant world, but struggle to understand and collaborate with diverse ways of being in human society. Cultural competency is a set of skills and practices that increase our understanding of our self-identity and our compassion for the experiences of The Other. This workshop will provide an opportunity to review, discuss, and reflect on the task of cultural competency. Through reflection and hands on projects we will discover the ways that cultural competency skills interact with self-awareness, social justice efforts, and our healing practices.
- Catching Skywoman: Plants As Trauma Survivors, Plants As Trauma Healers with Claudia Ford. Trauma studies is a growing field and calls us to acknowledge, honor, and address the pain and suffering in our patients, our environment, and ourselves. This work is not easy. When we are called as healers, in our chosen vocation, mindfulness is essential to addressing the healing of trauma. This workshop explores key questions, important plant medicines, and tips for mindfulness practice.
- Weed Women, All Night Vigils And The Secret Life Of Plants: A History Of Plant Medicines For Reproductive Health with Claudia Ford. What is ethnogynecology? What stories do medicinal plants tell us about the lives of women through history? This workshop explores the intersection of plants stories and women’s stories for the purpose of understanding our relationship to reproductive health plant medicines. We will review the fascinating stories of four plants that continue to have specific importance for women’s reproductive health: Blue Cohosh (Caulophyllum thalictroides), Ergot (Claviceps purpurea), Catnip (Nepeta cataria), and Cotton (Gossypium sp.).
- Osteoporosis and Osteopenia with Kate Gilday. In our mother’s image, we can develop the same conditions she had, including Osteoporosis. But, with knowledge of herbs one can easily grow or wildcraft, nutrient dense foods, lifestyle and exercise choices, we can prevent and even reverse bone-loss, as well as avoid using bio-phosphate drugs that carry unwanted side effects. The majority of women are able to maintain and improve the strength and flexibility of their bones with the approach we will review, safeguarding their bones throughout their life.
- Trees: Standing Medicine, Powerful Allies with Kate Gilday. Bark and root, leaf and flower, fruit and seed, trees offer a bounty of riches to those who spend time in their company. Spending time in a woodland, or with a favorite tree has positive impact on one’s heart, mind and even immune system. Today we will learn what, how, when to harvest trees; and also try a few tree medicines along with taking time to connect or deepen your relationship with a Tree of the Northeast
- For Circle Girls (3) The Nature of Flowers with Kate Gilday. Flowers enhance our lives in so many ways. They speak to our hearts, and often from our hearts as we bring flowers into a celebration, bring beauty to our gardens and homes, enliven our meals or offer flower petal healing as flower essences or spiritual bathing. Come learn which flowers are edible, those flower preparations that hold gentle yet powerful medicine for physical well-being, and how to prepare and use a flower essence. Stories, flowers, remedies and essences shared during this workshop.
- Come Fly through the Air with Aerial Silks with Amy Glasser. Come fly in the air and feel empowered in your body as we play on the aerial silk. The workshop will begin with a basic warm up and stretch to get our bodies loose and moving. We will then explore on the fabric, and learn different poses, wraps, stretches, and climbing techniques. We will feel beautiful, strong, and have fun doing it as we hang upside-down and play with gravity. Welcome for every-body! Tight fitted, stretchy clothing is recommended.
Amy Goodman Kiefer
- For the Love of Lavender with Amy Goodman Kiefer. Amy is passionate for everything lavender. She has been successfully growing Lavender in Vermont for over a decade. She will share all she has learned about Lavender; It’s folklore, history, hardy varieties, best growing practices, subtleties & timing for harvesting and drying. She will share how to make the most lovely Lavender preparations, as well as explore Lavenders’ energetics in depth, using all our senses.
- Sacred Teachings of the Plants: a Journey Home with Amy Goodman Kiefer. This experiential workshop is an adventure into a state of open communication with the green world. The plants are trustworthy guides, having much to share with us, and can lead us home to the deepest parts of ourselves. Come spend time outside and drink from this deep well of connection that is our birth rite. The nourishment is there for us all in the most simple of ways.
- The Sacred Rose, Goddess Remedy for Body and Soul with Mindy Green. Herbal therapeutic, aromatic essence and culinary delight – Rose provides this and more. This class encompasses the scientific literature and mythology of rose, as well as its use as an herbal remedy and essential oil for wellbeing of body, mind and spirit. Depression, PMS, menopause, heart problems, jealousy or grief? These are among a few indications that make Rose the quintessential remedy for women. Begin/Intermed
- Sex, Smell and Pheromones – the Science of Attraction and Botanicals for Romance with Mindy Green The subject of sexual attraction involves the biology and physiology of scent mapping and is unique to each individual. We will discuss how scent affects both genders, and how pheromones affect us all. Learn about specific herbs for optimizing sexual health and the plant essences that have historically been used as sexual allure. We will discuss foods and supplements for sexual health, the top ten essential oils to spark amorous affections in your beloved, and how to use them to entice and enchant a prospective mate.
Maria Noel Groves RH (AHG),
- Soothing Herbs & Gut Repair with Maria Noel Groves. Heartburn, leaky gut, ulcers, gastritis, SIBO, dysbiosis, IBD, and IBS are diverse digestive disorders that plague many Americans. We’ll explore underlying themes of these conditions as well as the potential benefits of varioius herbs, digestive bitters, fermented foods, and probiotics. Learn how to create your own digestive wellness tea based on your individual needs. Begin/Intermed.
- Safely Combining Herbs and Pharmaceuticals with Maria Noel Groves. With more Americans combining herbs and pharmaceutical use, herbal practitioners are challenged to choose herbs for their clients that pose the least risk for interaction. Maria will share the common potential herb-drug interactions and alternate herbs to consider, as well as free and low-cost tools to research and assess the risk of interactions. Learn how to think critically about potential herb-drug interactions. We’ll also discuss safety, ethics, and suggestions for how to help a client transition from pharmaceuticals to herbs. Intermed/Adv.
Zoe Helene MFA
- Psychedelic Feminism—Core Concepts and Key Stages for Plant Spirit Journeying with Zoe Helene. People from all over the world are traveling to the Peruvian Amazon to experience ayahuasca, a powerful hallucinogenic combinatory plant spirit medicine brew and profound mind-body-spirit journey. This Psychedelic Feminism interactive talking circle will explore women’s work “in the medicine” space, including the three key stages of preparation, immersion and integration. Zoe Helene will share wisdom learned from a decade of women’s empowerment work with sacred plant spirit medicine, including traditional ayahuasca ceremonies in the Peruvian Amazon and her work with cannabis as “master” plant.
- Global Sustainable Medicinal Plant Trade—Women + Wilderness + Wildlife with Zoe Helene For the past decade, Zoe Helene has traveled to remote regions of the globe with her husband, ethnobotanist Chris Kilham, to promote medicinal plants, environmental protection and cultural preservation. Zoe will share stories and wisdom earned while bearing witness to the state of women, wilderness and wildlife on the sustainability frontline and how these experiences called her to champion women’s empowerment through sacred plant spirit medicine. This talk will also explore her role supporting big media such as NBC Nightly News, The Dr. Oz Show, The New York Times, and many others as a powerful messaging platform for promoting positive change.
- Intensive Two Hearts As One Wheat Weaving with Roberta Horsman. In this hands-on Intensive Roberta will share with you the history of wheat weaving and teach you everything you need to know to weave your own beautiful designs with wheat. Each participant will have the opportunity to create a ‘Two Hearts as One’ design. This traditional English wheat weaving combines two woven hearts that are intertwined to create a new design. This may represent two people coming together to create a new life, a new business, love, friendship, etc. Or as one little girl said to me turning the weaving sideways, “It looks like a butterfly”. No experience necessary. Must register in advance.
- Making a Goddess Crown with Roberta Horsman. Celebrate your beauty by creating a goddess crown of sweet grass, wild weeds, flowers, feathers and a wheat weaving love knot. Wear your crown as an expression of your beauty, creativity, and presence in the world. No experience necessary. $12 materials fee. Limited to 30 people
- Garden of the Groove-The Ritual of Drumming with Mz Imani. Bring your drum, your rattle, your voice, your excitement and come to this class, if you would like to play with Mz. imani and the HeARTbeats! In the Garden of the Groove we greet each other, share laughter, and create healing through sound, art and music. We’ll play drums, sing, tell some stories, and rekindle our connection with each other and the drum. We will share what we have learned over the years of drumming together at the Women’s Herbal Conference. When we show up willingly, intentionally sharing sacred space, lifting each other up, we open our hearts, to find fierce compassion and tenderness in the moment.
- Garden Of The Groove: Tools For Cultivating The Sacred Fire Circle with Mz Imani. In the beauty and sense of spirit that surrounds a Sacred Fire Circle, an initiation of wonder awaits us. Join us as we explore ways to set the space, play and pray in the space, communicate with “the unseen allies of hope” and learn to be “read the signs” of the fire, the music, and the people gathered. Join Mz. imani as ceremonial architects, who build the container for Saturday night’s fire circle. We recognize ourselves, and each other as “agents of change” who gather to celebrate the creative spirit that resides in us all.
Lilian R. Jackman RN
- Holistic Protocols for Nervous System Health with Lilian R. Jackman RN. The average twenty first century brain and nervous system are undernourished from conception, and further unbalanced and stressed by the demands of life in out times. Drawing from her experience as a nurse and research for her book, Holistic protocol For Nervous System Health, Lilian will outline ways to to strengthen/balance the nervous system and prevent/treat auto-immune disorders, depression, anxiety, and cognitive decline. Class will include a thorough look at herbs that most benefit the NS and include life changes that are beneficial for a stressful life-style.
- Mary Magdalene Unveiled with Lilian R. Jackman. In this engaging workshop, Lilian will share ‘Everything I learned about this powerful woman in Ancient Christianity at Yale!’ Drawing form both Biblical sources and the Gnostic Literature, as well as pre-Christian myths and archetypes, we will discover, hiding in plain sight, the “lost” feminine so crucial to our knowledge of self, now more than ever. Class will be taught from primary sources including text and surprising images. A potent handout with citations and sources will further your studies
Claudia Joy Keel
- Herbs, Foods & Life-ways for Elder Vitality with Claudia Joy Keel. Stories of elders living long, active and vital lives in traditional cultures abound, yet today, elders are largely over medicated, immobile and isolated. Traditional remedies (supported by modern research) go far in restoring our elders wellbeing, We will discuss energetics, specific indications and ways herbs, foods, and essences can be used for common challenges of the aging body, including brain function, digestion, heart health, sleep and emotional wellbeing. We will also consider the natural dying process and the support herbs and essences can offer those who are on the threshold as well as caregivers.
- The What, Why & How of Flower Essence Therapy with Claudia Joy Keel. A familiar feeling when reading flower essence indications is to want every (or most every) essence for ourselves and also for others. But as in herbal medicine, an energetic model helps us craft simple and very effective remedies. In this workshop we will delve into ‘emotional energetics’: the what, which, when, why and how of flower essence therapy. We will consider when (and when not) to ‘detox’ traumatic emotions. As examples and in cases, we will discuss essences for safety, healthy boundaries, pleasure, self-esteem and self-realization and how they can offer a way to mend stress, illness and trauma.
- Mind & Soul Medicine: Plants to Dispel Anxiety & Depression with Claudia Joy Keel. The experience of anxiety and depression are now common reasons many seek out herbalism. While herbalists are not psychotherapists, we do have a host of remedies that are very effective in helping bring a person into greater emotional balance. We will consider ’emotional energetics’, specific indications as well as the approaches of traditional cultures to trauma and mental wellbeing. We will consider some basic principles and remedies when dealing with more advanced brain dysfunctions, such as bi polar and schizophrenia. In working with nature, we can develop ways to move with the ebb and flow of life with resiliency and a ever fuller heart.
- Intensive: Women’s Herbs, Women’s Health with Kathi Keville. This intensive will delve deeply into the cycles of a woman’s life and address the commonality of women’s transitions and conditions. We’ll focus on core ways to stay healthy and happy from puberty through post menopause and address treatments for a variety of issues including menstrual irregularity, fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, PMS, and more. Learn to decipher hormonal imbalances and how to choose the most appropriate herbs and herbal protocols for each situation. Class will include an in-depth look at important herbs for women’s health, aromatherapy, flower essences, and chi gung. Kathi is the co-author of the popular book, Women’ Herbs, Women’s Health. Intermed
- Natural Pain Relief: Using Herbs, Aromatherapy, Lifestyle Changes with Kathi Keville. Conquering Pain associated with menstruation, PMS, headaches, arthritis, fibroids, etc. How pain and stress alter us physically and emotionally and treating the resulting symptoms. Dealing with chronic pain and the side effects of pain drugs. How to develop custom protocols incorporating herbs with aroamtherapy, acupressure, flower essences and lifestyle. Intermed
- Liver Health: The Most Important Women’s Health Organ? with Kathi Keville. Why treating the liver is often the answer to women’s conditions, such as menstrual irregularity, fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, PMS, etc ~ especially when phystoestrogens aren’t helping. When and how to address the liver holistically and remedies to keep hormones in balance. We’ll look at exactly how various liver and phytoestrogen herbs affect our physiology.
- Food as Medicine with Penny Livingston. We can nurture our bodies in a powerful ways simply by choosing potent nutritious foods and preparing them appropriately. In this workshop Penny will share recipes and lists of super foods and what they do. She will highlight plants that are particularly nutritious and easy to grow in various climates. This is a participatory workshop so please bring your favorite all-star recipes focusing on deep nutrition. We will prepare and share some Golden Milk together. Please bring a small cup.
- Art of Distillation: Making Hydrosols and Essential Oils with Penny Livingston The ancient art of distillation is an alchemical process dating back thousands of years. It involves the process of purification through evaporation and condensation. In this workshop we will focus on the Art of making Hydrosols and Essential Oils through the process of distillation. In this workshop we will distill a hydrosol while we share about the transformative processes and techniques of the distillation.
Anne McIntyre FNIMH, MCPP, MAPA
- Intensive: Ayurvedic Guide to Healthy Relationships with Anne McIntyre. All life is relationship. Relationship to ourselves and the world around us…family, friends, the wider community, our environment and the planet as a whole. How can we be in harmonious relationship with ourselves and the world around us? Ayurveda has much to teach us about all things related to the heart and mind and relationships are definitely within that realm. The constitutional approach that Ayurveda embraces enables us to be more aware of our mental and emotional tendencies and to understand ourselves and our relationships better, and guides us to find greater balance and harmony. In this intensive, Anne will share how Ayurveda can help us understand our different natures and temperaments and provides us with a sophisticated range of treatments to bring these into balance and harmony. With knowledge and understanding of the three gunasand the three doshas, how they affect us and those with whom we interact mentally and emotionally, we can choose the right lifestyle, diet and herbal remedies for each person. This can be enormously helpful and take much of the mystery, pain and frustration out of relationships. Begin/Intermed.
- The Ayurvedic Approach to Fertility with Anne McIntyre. Over the last 35 years in clinical practice Anne has specialized in the treatment of women and children using a blend of Western and Ayurvedic herbs. She will discuss the Ayurvedic view of enhancing male and female fertility through a constitutional approach to diet, lifestyle and herbs. Begin/Intermed.
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Children with Anne McIntyre The wisdom of Ayurveda has much to offer parents who want nothing more than to give their children the best start to a healthy life. Anne has three children of her own and has been treating children for over thirty five years in clinical practice combining her use of Western herbs and diet with her knowledge and experience of Ayurveda. Anne will be sharing her extensive experience in the treatment of common childhood ailments and administering herbs to babies and children. Begin/Intermed
- The Brilliance and Sacredness of Stress: No Way! If it’s so great, why are we trying to get rid of it? with Kris Miller. This session will discuss stress from a holistic & evolutionary perspective – body, mind, heart & spirit – and ask you to re-consider your understanding of what it really means. We will explore the mechanics and functions of stress, the physiology of the stress and relaxation responses & their role in health, immunity, resiliency, and dis-ease, and reflect on common themes in our lifestyles. Some knowledge of spectrum of medicines and basic physiology helpful.
- The Many Faces of Plant Medicine in Counseling Practice: Exploring the edges of mainstream practice with the help of our green friends with Kris Miller. Plant medicine is an under-tapped resource in the world of “mental health” counseling in the US. This session will focus on a spectrum of ways to bring the plants and their gifts into your work with others; honoring the professional boundaries which matter to you while finding paths to creativity and freedom at the edges of mainstream practice. Some discussion will include social identity, liberation issues and the emerging field of eco-psychology. All levels welcome, but will assume some knowledge of spectrum of medicines & basic physiology.
Brittany Wood Nickerson
- Introduction to Herbal Energetics with Brittany Wood Nickerson. A basic understanding of herbal energetics can help you refine your knowledge of herbs and how to apply them to individual people and situations. Individualizing herbal choices is at the heart of what makes holistic healing and herbal medicine effective and unique. In this class we will learn how to identify basic energetic qualities of herbs (hot, cold, dry, damp) through taste and herbal action and how to use them to bring balance to the body.
- Holistic Protocols for Hormonal Balance with Brittany Wood Nickerson. Hormonal imbalances can lead to a range of symptoms from anxiety and depression to inflammation and reproductive complaints. This class will introduce the holistic and interconnected nature of hormones as they relate to the health of different systems of the body. Drawing on Brittany’s experience as a practicing herbalist, we will outline a basic protocol to support hormonal balance and correct imbalance that includes herbal, lifestyle and dietary support. This class will offer guidance for those seeking personal support as well as those looking to support others privately and professionally.
- Nurturing Your Immune System with Michele Palazzo. A strong immune system is necessary for healthy life. Daily care will allow your body to avoid colds and other ailments more easily. Learn some tips and recipes to strengthen your immune system through herbs and diet. Begin/Intermed.
- Herbal First Aid with Michele Palazzo. It is always important to be prepared for circumstances that arise especially with children around. Having first aid supplies readily available helps with situations at home or traveling around the world. Michele will share her first aid kit that has traveled the world with her as well as stories in which she needed to use it. She will also guide you through putting together your own first aid kit. Begin/Intermed.
- Herbal Gardening and Medicinal Plant Conservation with Michele Palazzo. Enhance your knowledge of common and less familiar garden herbs and how to use them medicinally in home remedies. Introduce medicinal plant conservation into your garden by growing some plants that are threatened in the wild by overharvesting and habitat loss. Begin/Intermed.
- Circle Within A Circle – Finding your Plant and Animal Medicine Totems with Lupo Passero A medicine totem can be the symbol of a tribe, clan, family or individual. Native traditions believes that each individual is connected to different animals and plant spirits that will accompany each person through life, acting as guides. Join is in circle to find out who your plant and animal guides may be. We will discuss how to determine your plant and animal guides and discuss those that you may already have and offer a simple ceremony inviting new guides into our lives.
- The Role of the Medicine Woman in Birth & Death with Lupo Passero. Traditionally and throughout history it was the medicine woman’s job to understand the cycles of life and the mystery of death. Supporting their community through the transition of both birth and death was an important part of the medicine woman’s (herbalists) work. Tools including the use of spiritual plants and medicinal herbs and herbal preparations were an important part of this craft. Lupo will share her experience as an herbalist and modern day medicine woman, working with both the duality of birth and the death cycle and demonstrate how to be of service to your community, family and friends during the miraculous time when the veil is thinnest.
- Community Herbalism in Action with Lupo Passsero, Emily Ruff & Friends. Everyday communities around the country are faced with tragedy and trauma, including storms, school/community shootings, neglect, abuse and death. As herbalists we have an array of appropriate skills that can help support a community and a variety of useful healing tools. This class offers a step by step “how to” action plan for herbalists who feel the call to create an herbal relief and/or healing center in any community that faces tragedy. Using their direct experience with helping to heal the Sandy Hook Community, the Orlando Pulse Community and the Standing Rock Community, Emily and Lupo will offer participants a clinical view of how to quickly and effectively set up an herbal healing space and support those in need
- Herbal Tincture Making 101 with Sophia Sanders. Making high quality effective tinctures is simple, easy and fun. Sophia will demonstrate the steps necessary to make your own tinctures using fresh and dried herbs and alcohol, vinegar and glycerin. Want to make your tinctures taste good? Sophia will teach you how. Handouts, recipes and tasting samples included.
- Intensive: Alchemical Healing with Nicki Scully. Modern alchemy is emerging as one of the most powerful tools for transforming our reality, and Alchemical Healing, the comprehensive healing form developed by Nicki Scully, is an essential vehicle for those who would heal themselves, and others. It offers unique ways to weave spirit and matter, to transmit life force energy, and to skillfully influence physical reality with the help of plant spirit medicines, animal totem allies, and other spiritual elements. By participating in demonstrations and practice you will learn diverse and innovative techniques for physical healing and therapeutic counseling, and expand your capacity to translate clear intention into effective healing action. All who desire self-healing and increased ability to heal others will find this a powerful and transformative experience. Nicki will share methods for working with cancer patients, chronic pain, injuries, and more, and will gift each student with her classic meditation CD, Healing Journey with Kuan Yin.
- Sekhmet (Egypt) and Medicine Buddha Deities as Healing Allies with Nicki Scully. Deities from all pantheons can help us heal ourselves and each other. Sekhmet, lioness-headed goddess and feminine face of the sun is known for her fierce compassion, and will recalibrate all body systems and heal many weaknesses, illness and injuries through a direct transmission. Medicine Buddha uses plants and his cauldron to strengthen medicines and bring healing to you and others. You will learn his short mantra and how to access both deities’ healing wisdom and power to add to your spiritual healing team. Bring a journal and blanket/mat to lie on
- Blue Lotus, Joy and Laughter—Recipes for Healing Miracles with Nicki Scully. In ancient Egyptian mythology the goddess/medicine maker Hathor represents joy and love, sensuality and intoxication in their many expressions. Nicki will lead a shamanic journey to experience Hathor directly, and to receive the healing capacity of love, joy and laughter she inspires. She will also introduce a number of sacred and healing herbs and trees recognized in Egyptian folklore, many still used today. Bring a journal and blanket or towel to lie on
- Jumping in the Mud ~ Natural Hair Coloring with Christine Shahin. Commercial hair dyes contain thousands of different chemicals, some of which are reported to be carcinogenic — but you don’t have to choose between gorgeous color and good health. Natural hair care expert Christine Shahin shows you how to use nontoxic plant pigments — henna, indigo, amla, and cassia — to color your hair naturally, whatever your hair type or ethnicity, with beautiful results! Learn how to mix, store and use herbal pigments, to color your hair subtly or boldly, for fun or to cover gray. Part I will focus on herbal hair colorant particulars, creating your personal recipe, then mixing and blending your herbal hair coloring recipe to use or to take home. Part II participants will learn how to apply their herbal coloring mix for hands on experience and then learn how to wrap/turban mudded hair offering freedom to be public while herbal pigments stain the hair shaft. You can attend either part, but best if classes are taken together
- Herbs For Calming the Mind and Strengthening the Heart with Deb Soule. Herbs and flowers help to calm the mind, strengthen the heart and build an inner capacity for presence, resilience and love instead of reactivity and fear. As the mind and heart become attuned to a greater feeling of wholeness and connectedness, we are able to be present and responsive to the needs of our communities. We will begin class with a short mindfulness meditation and then discuss in depth the therapeutic benefits of hawthorn, schisandra, gotu kola, lemon balm and Sacred basil along with a few of Deb’s favorite flower essences. Intermed
- Creating A Woman’s Healing Garden with Deb Soule. Through a colorful slide show, long time gardener and herbalist Deb Soule will share specific garden design techniques and discuss cultivating, collecting, preparing and using 8 of her favorite herbs for women that grow well in New England. Creating healing sanctuary spaces where plants, trees, earthworms, soil bacteria, birds and pollinators are valued and tended with respect is a powerful and compassionate act on behalf of our Earth. Intermed.
- Woman Power ~ Opening the Ground for Transformation with ALisa Starkweather Beginnings hold the magic before us of what is possible when our clearest intentions are voiced. We know in our bones it is time for the new story stirring in our collective sisterhood roots. Now let’s live it. Together en masse we challenge the remnants of lingering unworthiness, sweep away old fears and embolden ourselves to be truer than ever with support of wise women who are gathering from afar. We focus with a single purpose; to lift ourselves up from all remaining doubt and show up in our full power. No more waiting for tomorrow.
- A Ceremony for Our Hearts with ALisa Starkweather. What strengthens us? Plant medicine, ceremony, and being in the company of strong loving women who deeply care. We need one another now more than ever because together we collectively remember that wherever our hearts are breaking with divisiveness in our world, we are also standing powerfully in action and deed for our unity thus growing sisterhood among us. Join us in a simple ceremony where we learn what it means to be brave, to open ourselves to new stories, to hold one another and to be held.
- Intensive: Let’s Make Some Magic Together with ALisa Starkweather. Our world is so often in need of what we have and who we are especially when we show up together in aliveness, love, unity and community. So… let’s do this now. First, best practices for how we bring vision into action and living a life with beauty because we choose to release the fear of the fear. Hope springs eternal in our togetherness. Then via video, we design a short collective message with song, movement, spoken word. We invite the grandmothers, children and young women to join us at the end of our class for a powerful act where we stand together for life.
- Wandering the Transition Zones: A Visit with Cannabis & How it Works with Tammi Sweet. As herbalists we all know when giving a weed walk in a new place, the richest areas are the transitions zones, the margins, the edges. In this light, we will examine a much maligned, misunderstood and misrepresented plant we have pushed to the margins, Cannabis. It is time for us, the herbalists, to reclaim the proper uses of this medicine in our material medica. Time for us to help educate people about how, when, and why cannabis works (and that it’s not a cure for everything!). We will discuss time tested uses of this plant showing positive results and finally we will discuss “right relationship” with this master plant and brainstorm ways to assist clients in creating ways to honor this sacred and healing plant. We will also discuss the not well-known or publicized internal Endogenous Cannabinoid System, its physiology and functions. Understanding our own internal system and how it works can help us understand how and why cannabis works. Intermed
- Understanding the Healing Power of Inflammation with Tammi Sweet. Inflammation is one of our primary defenses in the body and is a major cause/contributing factor to almost all illness and disease. How can this be so? If you’re asking that question, come and take an in-depth look at the entire process. It will help you make informed decisions concerning when and if you need to alter the process. We will cover all of the physiology of inflammation including biochemistry within the cell. How and why inflammation is beneficial, when it is not beneficial, and finally we will discuss an anti-inflammatory lifestyle, which includes our friends, the herbs.
- Matriz Fertil (fertile womb) with Panquetzani Ticitl. Learn how your womb health and positioning affect fertility in every aspect of your life. Learn what herb your womb is calling for using menstrual blood, lifestyle patterns, and moontime discomforts as your guide. Learn how to combat symptoms of frialdad, susto, and aire with Mexican Traditional Medicine herbs. Intermed/Adv.
- Womb Oil and Self Womb Massage with Panquetzani An introduction to the history and philosophy behind Mesoamerican womb massage. Participants will learn two herb infused oil blends for abdominal congestion, bloating, stagnancy, and pain. You’ll learn how to find your womb and apply womb massage oil using the Abdominal Spiral. We’ll end with personal practice using your herb infused oil, live music, and a moving womb meditation.
- Curanderismo with Panquetzani An introduction to Mexican Traditional Medicine (MTM) in it’s historical context. Learn common uses and applications of herbs for colds, digestive problems, aches and pains, la matriz, and spiritual uses.
Linda River Valente
- Permission Granted: Working with Tarot’s Empress Archetype with Linda River Valente Oh, really? Who says you can’t? Who says you won’t? Forge your own path, with a “Hell Yes” from your soul’s sweet mandate. Open the gateways of your senses and dare to grant yourself permission to receive without guilt, fear, or judgement. The Empress- her stories, symbols, and energy– leads our circle of women into a place of play. No tarot experience needed!
- Elemental Queenship: Tarot with Linda River Valente Ready to claim your “right of rule”? How and where do you express sovereignty in your life? Using the four queens of the Tarot we will illuminate the path to inner/outer queendom. Welcome tarot beginners and badasses!
- Herb Walk with Amy Wilson. Take a long walk through the woods around camp and see the plants in their native home. You’ve been using the teas, tinctures and pills, but would you know the plant when you walked past? For those that like to walk and talk. We will cover about a mile of easy terrain.
- Qi Gong with Amy Wilson. Practice with me in the morning as I move through the forms of this ancient form of exercise that is used to cultivate and move Qi throughout the body for better health. Don’t let the incredibly slow, gentle, painless technique fool you. It engages all muscles, joint and organs and focuses on the breath. For all who practice, are just curious and are seeking a form of exercise that is sustaining through all phases of life. All levels welcome.
- Fairy Camp with Amy Wilson Come join in this playful and magical workshop celebrating the fairies. You are welcome to stop by throughout the weekend, but at the workshop on Friday you will help set up camp by setting up tea party table, a fairy houses, and a cozy nook where one can be inspired to read poetry to the plants and trees. Make fairy dolls from flower petals, wings and fairy dust for you to take back home. Years back when our children were small we attended Fairy Camp –it was enchanting and we still talk fondly of this. This year we are recreating the spirit for the next generation. All Levels
Sophia Wise One
- For Circle Girls: Remembering Our Ancestral Practices with Sophia Wise One. Experience and explore practices to connect with your ancestors and spirit guides and reclaim the wisdom, rituals and healing traditions of your lineage. We all carry within us the wisdom of our ancestors who knew and know how to heal and be on this earth in a harmonious way. As you step into womanhood connecting with your own ancestors and spirit guides provides a powerful sense of belonging. Through discussion, basic practices you can take home and deepen, and a guided meditation we will establish and/or strengthen your relationship creating a bridge between you and your personal wisdom council. Bring a journal and something comfortable to lie on.
- The Wisdom and Power of the Pelvic Bowl with Sophia Wise One. Learn how to practice self-healing vaginal massage on yourself and create a deep conversation with the root of your body’s wisdom, the pelvic floor. Intravaginal massage can provide support for many issues and symptoms, including healing from sexual trauma, incontinence/prolapse, pain during sex, menopausal struggles, PMS, emotional abuse recovery, self hate/self love, and owning of power and pleasure. Engage the power of your creative center! Bring something comfortable to lie on.
- The Art of Belly Dance w/Erin Wolf. Learn the basics of this fun, sensual, and self-empowering style of dance where we let loose in our bodies to shimmy, undulate, and spiral into expression. We will use the moves you learn together in class to create a mesmerizing dance piece!
- . Learn basic techniques for hand-to-hand offense Empower Your Inner Warrior: Self Defense 101 with Erin Wolf and defense. We will go over how to increase situational awareness, develop fight/flight reaction, and reverse the victim role. Go at your own pace in a safe non-judgmental setting. Wear clothes that are easy to move in, and bring a water bottle.
Lesley A Wooler B.Sc., RA,
- Aroma Chemistry with Lesley Wooler. Confused about the chemical constituents in essential oils? This class will begin to explore the basic information covering a variety of chemical constituents, such as alcohols, aldehydes, esters, ketones, terpenes, etc, and how they perform. You will learn which oils fall into which category and the safety surrounding them. You will leave with a basic understanding of the true nature of these aromatic gifts. You will also learn how to recognize certain constituents by their smell. Handouts will be provided.
- Salve Making 101 with Lesley Wooler. This class will be a hands on demonstration on the basics of making your own medicinal salve. Information on various herbs (comfrey, plantain, calendula, St. Johnswort, etc) will be given as well as a variety of flower essences and essential oils that can be added to your own blends. We will be making a salve consisting of herbal infused oils, beeswax, flower essences and essential oils. Equipment needed?
- Herbs in Body Art with Sarah Wu. Plant dyes have played a major role in body art from the ancient priestesses of Isis, the native peoples of the Amazon, the traditional Indian ceremonial use of henna and the contemporary tattoos of Western Culture. These dyes can be permanent or temporary and they always have deep significance to the wearer. Explore their history and uses and get tattooed with Guyatil, a blue-black temporary dye and medicinal fruit from the jungles of Costa Rica.
Our Yoga Teaches this year at the WHC ~
- Standing Like a Tree: Honoring and Emulating our Tree Allies with Nancy Phillips. In this mixed level yoga practice we will honor our tree allies and do a practice that helps us root and ground to Mother Earth as we connect and cultivate our own inner strength, courage, and flexibility. If you can, bring in a seed from one of your favorite trees as well as a yoga mat or towel.
- Loving Kindness Yoga and Meditation with Nancy Phillips. For Ourselves, the People at the WHC, Our World, and Mother Earth… In this mixed level yoga practice we’ll connect with the Divine within and in all as we offer blessings of loving kindness to ourselves and all beings including Gaia. Bring yoga mat and/or blanket to lie on.
- Intensive: Earth Prayer with Susi Wahlrab. In a world that for many of us has presented many challenging events, the Women’s Herbal Conference is a haven of support for us to step up as our very best selves to move life forward in a way that is inclusive, sustainable and healing. This experience will call on the indigenous roots of yoga which was created by awareness of our interconnection with nature. We will use the elements to create clear vision, courage, compassion and wisdom. Breath, Movement, Play, Meditation and Deep Relaxation to inspire, clear, heal and ground our Atman – souls purpose and intention. Perfect way to start off this wonderful weekend!!!! Some Yoga experience is good, however the class is open for everyone. Please bring a yoga mat and a blanket.
- Yoga For Every-Body! with Susi Wahlrab. Come Breath, Move, Play and Relax with this deep inner body connection of Body, Mind and Spirit. Especially designed for all levels of experience calling on the very advanced pose of consciously caring for yourself. Great way to start each day of this juicy inspiring gathering!